Recent Posts

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Wherein a bad mother disfigures her child

I am pretty sure that the pediatrician is going to think I abuse my son. He has a new bruise on his face at least once a week because the kid cannot fall or bump into something without his head taking the blunt of the trauma. He's tough though! So at least there's that.

Last night I was in the basement letting Mason play with toys and trying to entertain Brielle with a rattle and my charm. Mason has one of those cool spring horses and kiddo loves that thing, but he can't get on it by himself, so he just stands on the railing that holds the horse while he pets it and talks to it and whatever. That's what he was doing.

Sesame Street was on the tube but since neither of my kids care one ounce about TV it wasn't really doing any good. (PS. I had this idea that I wouldn't let Mason watch TV until he was three, but then I realized that was crazy talk and I let him watch Sesame Street, Martha Speaks, and Mickey Mouse Playhouse. Problem is, now he won't watch for longer than 10 minutes which is not long enough for me to shower and is it my fault because I wouldn't let him watch before?)

Anyway, he wasn't watching Sesame Street so I went to turn it off, which turned into finding something else for him to watch, which turned into getting distracted by Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure, which turned into him falling off that stupid horse because I wasn't watching for twenty seconds.

I heard a crash and ran around the couch to see him sitting on the ground with blood pouring out of his mouth. And then the crying started, by both of us. I scooped him up, ran upstairs yelling for Tim to help me, got him to the sink and plucked a tooth. Yep. Plucked a tiny baby tooth, root and all, right out of my precious baby's mouth. Then we rushed him to the dentist (Who came in at night, on a holiday, for free! And he even brought two toys because he wasn't sure if he was going to be seeing a boy or a girl. Thanks Dr. Murdock!) where he had another tooth plucked from that darling little mouth. Then the dentist said, "hopefully the third tooth isn't lodged in his gums, keep an eye out for infection." THREE TEETH!

The third tooth wasn't lodged in his gums, I found it on the carpet downstairs. We are hoping that the loss of three teeth doesn't affect his speech development or he may have to get fake baby teeth. Luckily, the loss of three bottom teeth can't do anything to ruin that baby smile.


2 comments:

Bill and Joan said...

I'm so sorry that Mason got hurt. It is so hard to see your baby have an accident that really hurts him so badly. I'm sure it wasn't your fault but unfortunately it's all part of parenthood. He'll be o.k. He's still that adorable little baby I haven't seen for so long.

Unknown said...

Awww. There's nothing worse than seeing your child get hurt. And the motherguilt that comes with it :( Glad he's going to be okay. Congrats on your new house. It looks beautiful. Don't forget to have fun while you do all the work to fix it up!