Recent Posts

Saturday, July 28, 2018

A Date With Ava

My little Ava has not been getting enough attention lately. She just wants to play! And talk! And be with you! So for the last week or so she has been begging for a date. The time just hasn't worked out until today, and we finally got to spend some quality alone time together.

First we got dressed up. She wanted us to wear church clothes and she picked out her Easter dress, but I convinced her I should just wear a skirt. On the drive she kept telling me that it was just my shirt that we needed to change, but once I convinced her that it didn't have any holes she was OK. We went and made an appointment at the nail salon and then headed to the dollar store. She picked out a microphone with bubbles in it and a squishy orange toy and bubble gum. She really just wanted that gum.

Then we went to IHOP for lunch. She chatted about her nerves about starting kindergarten, and her friends, and her family. She is so bright and sweet and wonderful. I could have sat there across from her all day. But we had to get the nail appointment because that was the most important part. She has been so excited for her first manicure. The minute she got in that chair she was all nerves. Straight, grumpy face. Not a word. She was very happy about it all afterwords, all giggles and smiles. But while that guy was working on her she wasn't about to crack a smile.

Then she wanted to go somewhere fancy! And I couldn't think of anywhere. So we went to the temple and walked around and I looked at the flowers and the brides and she nervously watched for bees and played in the fountain. On the way back to the car she ran out into the grass to smell a dandelion. All those thousands of flowers. The one dandelion.

Ava is such a light in our house. On the way home she sectioned out her gum to share with her siblings and told me, "the point of having things is to share!" She sometimes gets pushed around here and it makes me so mad, because she is so kind and thoughtful. She is never the instigator, always the peacemaker. I hope someday to have the kind of Christlike love for people that Ava has.






0 comments: