Mason turned 13 yesterday. ThirTEEN. Yikes. I feel like I should say that I feel too young to have a kid that old, but it actually seems about right. He had a really really good birthday, which was a good thing after last year's fiasco.
First things first - no one gets any sleep and we all wake up way too early because Mason is so excited to open presents. He has been asking for a phone and been very nervous about getting his hopes up. He was so happy when he opened it.
He wanted to go to a water park with the family during the day, so we decided on Cowabunga Bay in Draper. Only Ava had ever been and it was really fun! It was a little windy and rainy for the first couple of hours, but it's so hot right now that it didn't even faze the kids. Once it cleared up a little, Tim and I joined them on the slides and around the lazy river.
Once everyone was properly worn out we went over to Ikea to get dessert but they all looked terrible. So we just did some shopping and headed home. Everyone got cleaned up and we took Brielle to dance and the rest of us went to Tepanyaki for dinner. Then we came home and had ice cream sundaes (Mason didn't want cake) and watched the first half of The Hunger Games, which we've been listening to in the car.
So often I look at Mason and I'm just amazed how much he's grown up. I am just impressed. He is so smart and aware and thoughtful. He really thinks about things and it is fascinating to be let in on that process once in a while. He doesn't talk as much as the other kids, and I wish he would confide in us a little more because I would love to know what's going on in that head.
He's been having a great summer going to Lagoon all the time with his cousin, Beau. And he's a little nervous about going to Junior High in the fall. That part is weird - that he's old enough to go to Junior High. But I'm excited to watch him navigate it, and I'm thankful that I get to be along for his ride.
















0 comments:
Post a Comment