As soon as Tim and I got married I wanted a puppy. I would scour KSL at work looking through pages and pages of sweet little Dachshunds and Shih Tzus. Tim did not want a dog.
Then his sister Stephanie got a tiny little Maltese and her boys named him Casper. When they needed a sitter while they went out of town, I quickly volunteered. That week so so great. I gave him baths and took him for walks and loved on him every second I was home. I cried when they came to take him back. He was just perfect for us!
A few weeks later, Brendan's doctor told Stephanie that his allergies were too serious for them to have a pet in the home, even one that doesn't shed. They would have to get rid of him immediately. And that is how I got my dog.
Casper became our baby. We took him everywhere with us. I would put him in my back and take him into stores. We couldn't stand leaving him at home, know that he was alone whenever we were at school and work. All our stories were cute Caspie stories. He was the perfect pup. He trained easily, just was little and just wanted to cuddle. He was great with kids. When I found out I was pregnant with Mason, Tim said he wasn't sure he could love a child as much as that dog.
Then the child came, and everything changed. The stool that helped Casper hop on our bed got replaced with a dog bed. The love and attention that was constantly showered on him was now constantly showered on our real baby. The only good thing was that now I was home all day, and he wasn't alone. And Mason loved the dog. Casper was so patient when any of our babies grabbed his fur or pulled his ears. He happily gave them big open mouth kisses.
But he started getting fat. Little toddlers threw their food on the ground and Caspie ate it up so fast. Sometimes whole pieces of bread would get snatched out of chubby little hands. Fast forward to this year, and I am taking to him the Vet because he keeps peeing on the carpet, which is completely uncharacteristic of him, and finding out that he has diabetes.
His heart was weak and his blood sugar through the roof. They gave me insulin shots that I was supposed to give to him twice a day, before he ate. For the first few days, things were looking up. He was good about getting the shots and it wasn't as bad I as I thought it was going to be. But then he quit eating. For a day or two I could get him to eat canned chicken, but then he quit eating that, too. After two weeks, just when he was due for his next insulin check, he was bleeding from his bowels.
We took him back to the vet who said his organs were failing and that he probably wouldn't recover. So we took him home to say good-bye. Steph came over to cuddle her puppy. Tim and I spent the night hugging our first baby and crying. The next day we all drove up to Perry and Tim to Casper in to be put down. It was one of the hardest days.
I'll always miss that perfect little dog. He was so good. He'll never be replaced.
Then his sister Stephanie got a tiny little Maltese and her boys named him Casper. When they needed a sitter while they went out of town, I quickly volunteered. That week so so great. I gave him baths and took him for walks and loved on him every second I was home. I cried when they came to take him back. He was just perfect for us!
A few weeks later, Brendan's doctor told Stephanie that his allergies were too serious for them to have a pet in the home, even one that doesn't shed. They would have to get rid of him immediately. And that is how I got my dog.
Casper became our baby. We took him everywhere with us. I would put him in my back and take him into stores. We couldn't stand leaving him at home, know that he was alone whenever we were at school and work. All our stories were cute Caspie stories. He was the perfect pup. He trained easily, just was little and just wanted to cuddle. He was great with kids. When I found out I was pregnant with Mason, Tim said he wasn't sure he could love a child as much as that dog.
Then the child came, and everything changed. The stool that helped Casper hop on our bed got replaced with a dog bed. The love and attention that was constantly showered on him was now constantly showered on our real baby. The only good thing was that now I was home all day, and he wasn't alone. And Mason loved the dog. Casper was so patient when any of our babies grabbed his fur or pulled his ears. He happily gave them big open mouth kisses.
But he started getting fat. Little toddlers threw their food on the ground and Caspie ate it up so fast. Sometimes whole pieces of bread would get snatched out of chubby little hands. Fast forward to this year, and I am taking to him the Vet because he keeps peeing on the carpet, which is completely uncharacteristic of him, and finding out that he has diabetes.
His heart was weak and his blood sugar through the roof. They gave me insulin shots that I was supposed to give to him twice a day, before he ate. For the first few days, things were looking up. He was good about getting the shots and it wasn't as bad I as I thought it was going to be. But then he quit eating. For a day or two I could get him to eat canned chicken, but then he quit eating that, too. After two weeks, just when he was due for his next insulin check, he was bleeding from his bowels.
We took him back to the vet who said his organs were failing and that he probably wouldn't recover. So we took him home to say good-bye. Steph came over to cuddle her puppy. Tim and I spent the night hugging our first baby and crying. The next day we all drove up to Perry and Tim to Casper in to be put down. It was one of the hardest days.
I'll always miss that perfect little dog. He was so good. He'll never be replaced.











0 comments:
Post a Comment