Recent Posts

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was a little different this year.

A few weeks ago my mom went to the doctor for abdominal pain. She has been having shortness of breath and fatigue for over a year, and the pain in her side for a few weeks. Her family doctor has been telling her that her shortness of breath is just anxiety and tried to prescribe her anti-anxiety meds, which she didn't take. This time doctor told her that she had gallstones and would need surgery. He sent her for x-rays before the surgery and that doctor told her no, she didn't have gallstones at all. But there was something. They sent her for more tests and bloodwork and told her that it looked like she might have cancer.

She told me while I was visiting quickly during a girls night out, and I wasn't sure what to think. It didn't seem possible. And my dad seemed to think that the doctor didn't seem convinced that it was really cancer.

A few days later she got the diagnosis. Small-cell lung cancer, and it was advanced. More tests confirmed that she was in late stages, possibly stage 4. I was totally devastated. The days after her first diagnosis were horrible. I kept crying She got in touch with a friend who has connections with oncologists that specialize in her particular cancer in California and flew immediately for tests.


0 comments: